After having unsuccessfully tried numerous traditional approaches to chronic pain management, such as physical therapy, drugs or surgery, you may have come to the conclusion that you want to treat your body in a more gentle and holistic manner, and are considering seeing an alternative medicine practitioner to eliminate your chronic pain.
You are not alone. The main reason people turn to alternative medicine is for the treatment of chronic pain. (2007 survey by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control)
In fact, Americans spend more than a 10th of their out-of-pocket health care dollars on alternative medicine. (source: first national estimate on healthcare spending). This is a lot of money, but certainly worth the expense if the therapy brings permanent pain relief and no more trips to the doctor for pain management.
But, you may have already spent so much money on traditional treatments (that have brought little or no lasting results), that you want to make sure you are making the right decision before embarking on a new, possibly unknown program of alternative healthcare. What do you do?
The answer is: Do your homework.
Ask the following questions before starting therapy with any healthcare provider:
- Does the therapy address the actual cause of my pain (e.g., from an injury, disease etc) or merely treat my painful symptoms?
- How will this therapy reduce my pain?
- Are there any published reports or research that demonstrates the effectiveness of this therapy?
- What are the potential risks of this therapy?
- How long will the therapy take and what will it cost?
If these questions are not answered to your satisfaction, seek another therapy.
Concurrently, do not choose a healthcare provider simply because they have a charismatic personality. Do a Google search on your healthcare provider to address the following questions:
- What is the healthcare provider’s training and does he hold advanced training in the area of your problem?
- How long has he been providing this therapy?
- Has he been published or done research in his area of expertise?
- What is his philosophy and approach in treating patients?
- Do you feel that your healthcare provider takes the necessary time to listen to you and does he actively express an interest in what you have to say or do you feel like you are being ‘herded like cattle’ in and out of his office?
- Does he provide you with written information about his treatment that you can understand?
- What do his patients have to say about him?
If these questions are not answered to your satisfaction, seek another healthcare provider.
Find out as much information as you can before choosing a healthcare provider and therapy to address your chronic pain.
Doing your homework may take some time and effort, but it is more than ‘worth the effort’ in order to find a therapy that will successfully treat your problem and a practitioner who understands your desire to treat your body in a holistic, non invasive manner.
U.S. report on alternative medicine spending: http://nccam.nih.gov/news/camstats/costs/
If you’d like to learn about Professor/Dr. Rothbart’s innovative therapy that has helped thousands of people permanently eliminate their chronic muscle and joint pain, go to: Professor/Dr. Rothbart’s patient website.